Wednesday, April 8

Wednesday in Fiji: Converting 39°C & the Smithsonian (aka Fiji Museum)

News Update: being sick still sucks. Hopefully I’ll get better soon. In the meantime, unlike what I usually do, I am pumping drugs like no other. Hopefully that will help. That and a little divine intervention helped last night. I had an appointment to go on splits with the elders last night. They were going to come pick me up at 6:30 pm. I was still feeling pretty poor, so I took more medicine and tried to rest before.

About ½ hour before we left, I took my temperature and it was 39°C. After using “The Google,” I found that converted to 102°F. That wasn’t too comforting, but I didn’t want to bail on the Assistants and really wanted to do some teaching. So I said a prayer and off we went.

It worked out wonderfully. Our first appointment was at a member’s home just down the hillside. It was in a very idyllic setting. The bright moon was out, the trees were swaying in the wind, and the air was still warm as we headed to the little home. After knocking at the front door, we were told in Fijian that the mother, daughter and her friend were not there. I thought, yes, this is the missionary work I recall!

As we headed to the car, they just got home, arriving in a taxi. Fewer people have cars here and take buses, but usually take taxis. They are very cheap and quick. Our one-way taxi trip for two yesterday was only $1.25 USD, so much different that back home.


So after we walked into the home with them, we taught a lesson. It was so cool! We took off our shoes and sat Indian style on the floor. It was a very humble home and even though they were only a few feet away, I could barely see them because the lighting was so dim. As I sat there, sweating profusely, it was great to share my testimony of the Savior Jesus Christ and scripture study.

Our next appointment was similar. I had a great time and it was nice to sit down with members of our faith and those investigating it. They are great people here. The missionaries are great here, too. They are doing some great work and it is comforting to know the church is in good hands with the missionaries today.


Other than doing some resting today, we took some really cool tours. We went to the Fiji Museum. Very humble and Spartan by our standards, it was a cool museum that explained Fiji’s history. We saw some cool pots, swords, baskets, boats and artifacts.


We also went to the old mission home. It is only two blocks from their new home and is a really cool and quaint place. It has a great view. Too bad they had to move, because it is pretty neat.

After, we went to the LDS College (our high school), home of the Highlanders. What a beautiful campus! They even have an old bure on the campus grounds. All of the buildings and plants are finely maintained and so cool to see a high school that has pictures of Elders Holland & Scott on the wall. They are blessed to have this school here. I would be honored to attend school here.