Monday, April 6

Monday in Fiji: Visit Jack’s & Adventureland—Walt would like this place

Happy Birthday Church! So here is the sucky part, I got sick. Blaire thinks that it is what she had and I hope so, because it wouldn’t be cool to get something from here. We don’t drink the tap water. We only drink the bottled Fiji water. Except, instead of costing $8 for a six-pack, it only costs $1.10. After getting some rest in the morning, I went on a run. It was really good. The area here is pretty hilly, but it was nice to get out. I forgot to take my stick to bat away dogs, but thankfully I was not approached by any.

It is pretty hot and humid here, but it was a good run nonetheless. After lunch, we headed to Downtown Suva. My mom and another senior sister missionary took us shopping. They have some pretty cool shops (including their common tourist trap, Jack’s) and stuff is so cheap here! It is weird though, when you shop, one of the workers follows you around. She is like your own personal shopping assistant, but since you aren’t in Bloomindales or Gucci, it feels a little strange.

We walked a lot and saw a lot of cool things. All the time, people are so nice and no one harassed or bothered us. This place is so different that Jamaica.


For dinner, we had Family Home Evening with all the senior couples at the Raintree Lodge Restaurant. It is a nice little place that sits on a big lagoon. It was so beautiful. It felt like out of Adventureland. The moonlight and trees were beautiful, so beautiful that it seemed fake—from a movie set. The food was tasty (but very different, when you ask for shrimp—they give you the whole shrimp). They even played Gershwin for us, what a great way to please the Yanks.